Parks & Recreation
Regular Meeting

September 25, 2017
This Meeting was recorded for Accuracy

Present: Beth Thompson, Amy Lickenfelt and daughter, Pam and Joe StClair, Ben West, Ron and Pat Betts
Meeting called to order at 6 PM by Beth Thompson

Beth spoke up and informed all people attending of the positions open on the Parks Board.

Beth Thompson, Chairperson 5 year term
Aaron Bouch, Vice Chairperson 4 year term
Pat Betts, Secretary / Treasurer 3 year term
Melissa Miller, Voting Board Member 2 year term
Ben West, Voting Board Member 1 year term

Pam St Clair at this time cannot take any position but was willing to help when she can. Pam questioned whether Billy Shank and Brad Lichtenfels would be willing to take a position. Neither has committed.

Pat mentioned that the Chairperson and Vice Chairperson would be on the bank account with the Treasurer. Amy asked whether a council member would need to be on the account. Pat stated that after speaking to Jeffery, no council person needs to be on the account since it is a separate account.

Next item: Hayrides coming up and would like to see this happen. Beth stated that we can use John Kovac's truck and if need be trailer. Beth said she can ensure Council will receive John's liability policy before the hayrides start. Hayrides will start at the Borough building from 6 - 8 pm weather permitting.
Hayride schedule:

October 7
October 14
October 21
October 28
Amy said someone needs to be designated to sit on the ride to ensure the kids stay seated. Pam said the only complaint last year was the exhaust from the truck. Also place a sign that says "Ride at your own risk".
Decorating of the trailer for the hayrides will be Saturday early afternoon Oct 7th. Pam mentioned about Halloween music she has that we can play.

Ben suggested to have a suggestion box during the hayrides to see what events the people would like to see parks have. Pam to make the suggestion box and Pumpkin donation box to be put out during the hayride.  For the hayrides everyone decided that Pam was to go to Sam's Club and purchase some cookies or chips, and drinks. Amy said she will donate $20.00. Pat and Ron will donate another $20.00. Beth also said she would donate $20.00. Pam and Joe donate $20.00 also. Amy will donate Dixie Cups to use for drinks.

Pat spoke to Amy about possibly getting $60. from Council to purchase the pumpkins for the carving event. Pumpkin carving event October 15th starting at 1 PM at Burkey Park. Pre-Registration form will be done by Beth. She will get this out this evening so we know how many pumpkins to get.
Question was asked whether we have tables to use for the carving. Ron said tables are in the hut at the park and if need be he can also get tables from the Legion.

Home decorating contest for Christmas. Pay $5.00 entry fee. Judging to take place on Friday Dec 15th. Winner announced by Santa and prize will be awarded on the 16th right after Santa visits the park from 4-6 pm. Also have the Santa Box at the park for Santa letters from Dec 1st thru the 14th. Children letter will have their name and address in the letter so Santa can answer them back.

Park decorating will take place on Dec 3rd during the day and park lighting that evening.
"Decorate the Park Event” Light up the Park 7 PM

Santa event this year. Ron will be Santa. He has the costume as well as Mrs. Claus, Elf and Reindeer costumes.

Another event - Breakfast with Santa event. Church does not do any longer. Melissa does this event at store.

During general conversation Amy suggested CPR training classes. It was decided to have a class February 10th if able to get a location. Possible place of event would be K & K flowers in basement. Pam thought of Tim Benamonti for CPR class.

Pam has an activity that most of it has already been done. The Petting Zoo from the Sesquicentennial.  Kathleen, Melissa, and Uncle Babe paid for it all. The folks paid for the pony rides. It would be nice if we got enough sponsorship from the businesses to pay for it all including the pony rides. Cost of activity is approx $1400. w/o the pony rides. Requirement was fresh water, and place to put their trailer for animals. We can use possibly the Legion lot and Uncle Babe's lot. We could have canopy set up and do a Basket party, do raffle and food from the Legion and Brickyard Cafe. Parks would pay for 3 hours from 3-6 PM. Pam to call and get the prices now. We need to write a proposal for the Legion asking for donations or help with their licenses and property.  We could follow up with a concert at the Park from 6 - 8 pm. Approximate date for event will be May 12th

Brickfest event - Second Saturday in August is the 11th. Also need to have emergency personnel at the event. Another event would be contacting Ligonier Players and they could do skits for the kids.

Pam asked about the playground catalog. Her thoughts were to have a catalog dream event and look at what we would like to have for playground equipment. We need to have George from EIP to get involved on this also so he can help with contacts and grant writing for this project.

Motion to adjourn 7:45 PM.  


Patricia Betts